Saturday, May 19, 2012

Don't ever say....


First of all, know that this post is not intended with a negative attitude. The past 18 months have taught me to laugh about a lot of things. Yes, some of these things have actually been said to me, many of them on more than one occasion. It's either laugh or cry, and I try to choose laughter.

Things you should never, ever, ever, ever, ever say to a cancer patient or survivor:

1. Chemo is not near as bad now as it used to be.
Reason: It is still horrible. Yes, some chemo treatments ARE easier than they used to be. However, many of the treatments are quite horrible. The ER visits from the effects of chemo are not a planned adventure in search of fun. The local ER with the local oncologist is not my idea of a dream vacation.

2. Phenergan is a narcotic and highly addictive. You might want to think about that.
Reason: The phenergan in my body is keeping the saltine crackers in my system from ending up on your shoes. Yes, someone actually said that to me. I think they need to research their drugs before sharing inaccurate information with the general public.

3. You had a year off work. You must be so relieved.
Response: Hmmmm. I don't think being in a chemo clinic counts as vacation, at least not in my book.

4. You might want to be careful and not take too many different medications. I hear that stuff can cause a lot of problems such as addiction.
Response: You might need some of these medications to help with the bodily injury you are about to experience.

5. When referring to effects of my surgery:  I know exactly how you feel. I had my tonsils out when I was 13 and it was terrible. The ice cream they gave me was really horrible.
Response: Yes. Your tonsil surgery is on the same level as a 15 cm tumor in my COLON!


I just have to wonder about some people.


This has been an eventful week in our household. All 3 boys received awards this week at school. Andrew finished up his soccer season. Sadly, Coach Mike was not there. That effected the entire team. However, they played a well coached and well disciplined team. I was extremely impressed with the other team. The players were quite talented.
We are getting ready to close out this school year, and I must say that i am more than ready. I'm anxious to spend some quality time with my kiddos. I just hope they can hold off on the fighting. I'm not holding my breath on that one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers